Monday, December 3, 2012

When writing feels like a chore...


If you happen to be a writer, then you have undoubtedly heard that not writing at least something on a daily basis means you're not doing it right. Right? Yeah, I've heard that, too. And lemme tell ya, a while ago, that bugged me to no end. If there were days I just wasn't feeling it, I would stress out over it, to the point that I'd be sitting at my computer practically pulling my hair out until words fell from my fingertips. And, oh, about 100% of the time, I would be tossing those words out the next time real inspiration hit me. Raise your hand if you've been there.

Now, the key phrase to take away from the above paragraph is this: "a while ago." Meaning: It doesn't bother me anymore.

I've come to learn during this entire "becoming a published author" process that what works for one doesn't work for all. Ask any author that, they'll agree. That's why there's no secret formula to writing a book/getting published/hitting the NYT bestseller list/getting your novel made into a movie. The art of writing is as diverse as the world itself. It comes in countless shapes, sizes, colors. And each person who ventures down the road to publication takes different stops or detours than the author in front of and behind them. They hit different potholes and speed bumps, get sidetracked by a roadside fruit stand while another author skips fresh produce and flies ahead. But in the end, they all end up in the same place (albeit at varying levels of "place," but "place" nonetheless). 

This is perhaps the absolute hardest thing to learn when it comes to the craft of writing: No one's path is the same. And the second hardest (or first, to some) thing to learn? That fact is perfectly okay.

So, when you're just not feeling the writing bug one day, and would rather veg out in front of the TV or spend your free time digging in a garden or hanging with friends, don't stress out over it. Don't let it get you down. Let the writing go for that day and enjoy some down time (just as every other person with a job does, right?). Let your brain rest and reset. Have a little fun.


Believe me when I say it's not gonna kill you.

1 comment:

Jordan Dane said...

So true, Jamie. That reset is important. It feeds the creative well to replenish it. Love this post.